From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 08:52:30 -0500
>   I've not had any direct experience with skunks and bees. Beekeepers have
>   told me they had some success putting cayenne pepper in the depression
>   skunks are said to make, in front of the hive (presumably to let them
>   settle down and protect their underparts from stings?).

        Further to the above. In the past we have had lots of problems with
skunks and our answer to the problem, is, to stop them getting started. We
make up from plywood a U shaped piece, to fit across the front of the hive
and round the sides. This then has 2" nails driven through from underneath.
It looks for all the world like a Fakir's bed of nails. THAT STOPS THEM!!!!
You reallly have to nip it in the bud as it is on record where a mother
skunk brought her offspring and taught them how to scratch and feed.
   * David J. Eyre CEO        9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,     *
   * The Beeworks           Orillia, Ont, Canada, L3V 6H1*
   * [log in to unmask]     (705) 326 7171            *
   * http.//www.muskoka.net/~beeworks                          *