From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2015 12:01:51 -0600
Todd writes
> I would love to see a discussion on IPM.

I assume you mean, monitoring hives and alternatives to chemical treatments. The best option is to start with resistant bees. If you have a dependable source for these, it would be wisest to requeen all the hives with them. The non-resistant will tend to be reservoirs for mites.

This statement  That Peter makes is why a discussion on IPM is awkward at best.   Having spent 1000's of dollars in pursuit of resistant genetics, I would strongly disagree with that statement.  So far no queens have shown any promise. It does appear that some locations and yards fare better than others.  In fact this year I was pleasantly surprised in 2 yards, and overall mite numbers were down.   Funny part is that the queens this season were quite a variety, and absolutely no trends based on genetics.  I promise several others will disagree with that statement,  but I also know many more that agree.

Any source of actual resistant queens would be rich.....  It does appear some people are having some local success.  So far it does not appear that success is transferable.   Reportedly Weavers in TX have some restiance. I have 50 we set last season.  No reports on them as of yet as they were July starts.  The season you can show genetic success with queens ands mites, is the season you sell $200 queens.
I personaly bought several of them from Glenns.  No joy. (they were pretty)

From what I have seen in my yards the only IPM that works is brood breaks.

I 100% agree with Peter that if you don't check/treat in AUG,  your going to lose a lot of bees.

Charles