From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:25:06 -0700
On Fri, 10 Mar 1995, Ray Lackey wrote:

> Eric, I object!!  Burn them if they have AFB.  The spores are not
> visable and the novice does not have the resources to identify
> the spread of the spores.  In the mean time his neighboring hives
> are getting the desease.  I believe it is cheaper in the long run.

I may not have been clear.  When I suggested that the frames with
evidence of foulbrood should be removed, I should have suggested that
they be destroyed.  I would not, however, destroy the entire hive and all
of its inhabitants just because I found a few cells with foulbrood.

I agree that the spores cannot be seen and that they are likely on all of
the equipment.  It is likely that the spores already exist in most of our
hives at some level and we would likely not destroy all of our
equipment.  There is a point at which a hive must be burned but in most
cases it is just luck that I see cells with foulbrood.  A few days
earlier or later, or if I examined a different frame, and I may not have
noticed AFB at all.

Eric