From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 21:37:54 -0700

> >Are you aware of any real world
> field studies that have shown foraging bees or other pollinators
> are killed or harmed in significant numbers by these applications
> which are made only once or twice a year?

Paul, when I was recently speaking with beekeepers in the Midwest whom I
consider as reliable reporters, I was surprised to hear several reporting
minor but noticeable bee mortality when herbicides are applied to soybeans.

I for one would be curious to hear your results from spraying bees at the
rate you suggest.  If you don't run the trial, let me know, and please tell
me the most common non ionic surfactant  used by farmers, and I'll spray
some bees.

Or how about anyone else on the List--surely there's got to be someone with
both Roundup and surfactant mixed, and some bee hives nearby. It's easy to
put some bees into a package cage with a feeder of syrup, and spray them
lightly, then leave overnight and check mortality.  Please let us know!

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA