From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:22:40 EDT
All

We're finalizing our Smart Hive system in cooperation with our  manufacturing
partner. Bee-L members can help us with the last aspects of the  design.

The Smart Hive is an electronic system, with satellite communications, that
will report to your cell phone or computer.  The purpose is to provide
management information from a distance - especially for commercial beekeepers  with
bee colonies distributed over hundreds or thousands of miles.

One of the main components is a built-in hive scale.

The cost of this component is related to the range and to the  sensitivity.
If you want a balance that can go from 1 pound to 500 pounds,  with 0.1 pound
resolution, its going to be pricey.

So, here's are the questions - and you can send your responses to me so  that
we don't overflow Bee-L:

What is the preferred maximum hive weight?  For example, 100 lbs, 200?  300?
More?
I'm asking what is the maximum for ONE hive full of bees, frames, honey  that
is likely to need to be weighed.

What is the preferred minimum hive weight?  35 lb, more, less?

What is the required sensitivity?  Do you need 0.001 lb, 0.01 lb, 0.1  lb, 1
lb, 5 lb, etc ?

Consider these questions from the standpoint of managing a colony.   When is
it going to need the addition of honey supers?  When is it  starving?  When is
it ok?  What weight information do you need to  answer these questions.

Again, something that can weigh a hive in the range of 35 lbs to 300 lbs,
with a +5 pound sensitivity (weights to the nearest 5 lbs) will cost us  and you
much less than a scale with a range of 5 lbs to 500, and a  sensitivity of +
0.1 lb.

Thanks

Jerry

deal here.