Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:16:48 -0500
> according to Kleinschmidt and Kondos(1976)if bees consume pollen with protein below %20 they increased collection and intake by
app. one third, is it possible the something similar happens with the 1:1 and its deviation(s) from the larger array of compounds in nectar?

Good question, Kathy.  My guess is that in the situation you are mentioning that the bees are already active collecting, have an investment in brood, perceive somehow a deficiency, and therefore work harder.

In the nectar case, during a dearth, many strains of bees go into conservation mode and cut back activity to conserve resources, possibly to the point where new resources go unnoticed or the few foragers who do go out fail to recruit enough interest to raise the hive's metabolism and toggle into collection mode -- especially if the brood peak has passed.

In the case, I mentioned, the hives had already cut back to a low idle and totally ignored opportunities outside the hive, even though there was 20 lbs per hive of concentrated syrup sitting waiting for them only 50 feet away.

A cold shower (a free sample) gave them a kick in the butt, got them warmed up, and they showed what they could do.