From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:49:46 +0000
Related to the question of whether or not bees have vision inside the
hive:  I have always thought it quite remarkable that exposure to the
light itself does not seem to have any disturbing effect upon bees.
It's only when this is accompanied by rapid motions or vibrations of
the hive parts that bees show alarm reactions.  Bees continue to do
their dances, feed larvae, etc, and even the queen moves about
normally, searching for cells and depositing eggs on open comb!  I
think this is amazing, given how we humans make such a big deal about
whether we can see clearly in the light or stumble about in pitch
darkness.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA