Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:36:41 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (7 lines)
So,  have 2 hives, both from packages with Russian Carniolan queens, one started last year, one started this year.  In my newer hive, I had low mites (2 on 300 bee sugar roll) and decided to throw on a half MAQS treatment.  I went through the frames  a week after I removed the strip and the entire broodnest was completely devoid of any brood, larvae, or eggs.  The other hive got a fill dose of MAQS and I found the full gamut of brood in that hive.   I was quite concerned, however a week later (Sunday) I found eggs.  It remains to be seen if my queen stopped laying, got superceeded, or swarmed.  She's marked so I'll know the deal if I find her in a couple weeks.  I didn't find any queen cells (neither capped nor just emerged from) when I went through the frames the day I found no brood.  I have talked to another beekeeper in our area (SF bay) who has noticed some of her queens will stop laying for a while in the summer.  This might also be a way that the queen/hive is interrupting the mite reproduction cycle.  If I find my marked queen I'll make a separate post about it if people think it's interesting.  Mark

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2