From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2013 08:47:16 -0700
> Ingemar Fries suggests that nosema is more of a problem for bees at the

> > cold ends of their range.  This agrees with Medhat's assessment.  My data
> > also supports the cold/nosema link.

Note that I did not refer to N ceranae in the above assessment, but to
nosema in general.

> >Just the opposite of the observations of
> >Higes:

Perhaps you've misinterpreted his findings, Pete.  Please refer to his
charts of prevalence in his 2008 "Natural Infection" paper.  N ceranae
peaked during the winter in his hives.

> >Genersch:

If you refer to her paper, you will find that her measured levels of
infection were generally trivial, and wouldn't be expected to contribute to
mortality.  She also only measured nosema in spring and fall, so did not
"track" the infection level.

> Traver:

I carefully reworked Traver's data, and found that nosema prevalence was
greatest in winter, although spore counts rose in spring.

As with many published studies, one cannot go from the abstracts and
snippets alone.  I find that I must often carefully reanalyze their data
myself.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA