From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 07:54:03 -0800
Hi Aaron,
Thank you for sharing your excellent observations!
As I see it, whether or not collapses should be attributed to CCD
specifically is of minor importance, if it distracts from the fact that a
number of beekeepers worldwide are experiencing losses far above the
"normal."  I talk to these guys, or correspond with them, and feel the
frustration of experienced beekeepers watching their operations collapse.
Just last night, as we were hauling a couple of truckloads of bees home, a
California commercial beekeeper called to share the extensive collapses that
he and several of his fellows were experiencing these past weeks.  I'm
writing this before I head out to unload them, and I have little idea of
what I'll see in my own boxes.  I checked all these colonies closely a few
weeks ago, and all appeared to be heavy and in good health, yet as I loaded
them last night, some 5-10% felt like they had been robbed out.

The extent of losses in France (2005-2006) is sobering--see
http://www.api-connaissance-sanitaire.fr/mortalites%20colonies.htm --excerptedbelow.
Note that these were small yards--not large commercial beekeepers.
Randy Oliver

      % de mortalité de colonies dans certains ruchers du département

      Alpes-de-Haute-Provence
     100 % (57/57)

      Aveyron
     60 % (15/25)