Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2017 08:54:34 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
He insisted then that "science and experiments" (his words) can't find this stuff out. However, science and experiments usually come with data and methodology. Not just seat of the pants estimates about how "they were dark and now they are all yellow" or vice versa. The people who have actually observed closely say it seldom works. If the cells are free, it's a waste of time. If you are buying them, it's a waste of money, too.

Pete,  Randy,   its quite interesting to ponder  how some can be so sure that some experiment is correct.   You two of all people should be aware of variations. Yes science comes with data, not seat of the pants,  but science also moves forward.... 
Should you really study science  you understand its nothing more than proving what we know now,  knowing that in the future someone will probably prove it wrong....FYI that’s from Cornial Deans book, shes quoting another great Science writer so its not a verbatim quote.

The world is not still flat...we learn and move on.  In this case it may be technique and timing that determines success.  I would never presume to cite old text and then claim what someone else has learned since then is wrong.  We would call that stuck in the past. 

Right now the cell business and re queening this way is practiced by several large scale operators.  I myself picked it up from Andy Card. Last time I checked Andy has been running around 5000 hives in NY?

So in essence what your saying is that a couple of small scale experiments are right,  and guys who make a living at it are fools wasting money?  Come on guys your better than that.  I myself as an engineer and a fan of Randys though process,  spend a lot of time checking things also,  I completely understand the concept of beekeeping MYTHS and MISTRUTHS.  I also keep notes and follow engineering guidelines, I received my blackbelt in problem solving 20 years ago. I may not spend my days digging thru old text, or writing about  my experiments,  I do keep a few bees and go out of my way to not waste money. Success rates do vary,  no doubt,  but overall its been very good,  much better than other methods. 

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2