From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2014 14:51:15 -0300
We are seeing some hives throwing out worker brood that is almost coloured
up.  We have not noticed this in previous years.  The hives do not appear
to have higher mite levels than our normal.   Some of the hives have high
populations and chilling is unlikely.  It seems to be concentrated in an
area of our island that does not have much mixed farming anymore, and has a
lot of corn and soybeans and potatoes.  The hives in this area produced
much less honey than hives elsewhere.

Has anyone seen this happen much?
Is it pesticide related?
Does it ever happen as a response to greater wax moth?

Greater wax moth is new here.  Previously we only had lesser.  It has come
in with the importation of pollinating hives from Ontario.  We have found a
few larvae in populated hives.   Lesser wax moth would never be a problem
in reasonably strong hives, but I have no experience with greater.  We have
not seen obvious webbing or tunnelling.

Stan