From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 08:44:59 -0600
Forwarded From:          [log in to unmask]

My name is Bill McLaughlin.  I am a hobby bee keeper and a professional
fireman at Rocky Mountain Arsenal Fire Department with 18 years service. As
a fireman I specialize in emergency hazardous material response.  On
9/10/97  I read a message on Bee-L about two members who were talking about
how Hydrogen Sulfide quiets the bees.

> > Not wanting to use pesticide to kill them, I tried using a Hydrogen
> >sulphide (H2S) supposedly highly toxic. Hydrogen Sulfide is an excellent
> >way of chasing a swarm out of a tight corner. (dangerous though) It also
> >seems to calm the bees.

> In a really peculiar coincidence,  on Tuesday I was taking the last
> supers from a yard of bees that is about 100 yards (meters?) from a gas
> well that was being serviced. This field is a sour gas field, and there
> was a mild smell of H2S carried to us on the wind which was blowing
> directly from the rig toward me. I remarked on how peaceful my bees
> were when I got home but I did not make the connection with the H2S.
> The concentration was extremely low, so the effect must be quite
> powerful.

Hydrogen Sulfide  IS  I repeat  IS   HIGHLY toxic.   Not supposed!!!!!

The following is from a Chemical Database called CAMEO.  CAMEO is used by
my fire department for chemical accidents.  I have retyped the information
as found.  Consider this GOSPEL!!

RISKS       [note a 4 is as high as it goes  BillMc]
Health  3 -  Extremely hazardous - use full protection
Fire     4 -   Extremely flammable

General Description:  Hydrogen sulfide is a colorless gas having the odor
of rotten eggs.  It is shipped as a liquefied gas under its own pressure.
One's sense of smell becomes rapidly fatigued [which means you can't smell
it anymore after a while even though it is still there BillMc] in
atmospheres containing hydrogen sulfide and hence cannot be counted on to
warn of the continued presence of the gas. Contact with the liquid can
cause frostbite.  The gas is heavier than air and a flame can flash back
to the source of leak very easily.  Under fire conditions cylinders and
tank cars may violently rupture and rocket.  It is soluble in water.  It
weighs 8.3 lbs/gallon. Long term exposure to low concentrations or short
term exposure to high concentrations may result in adverse health effects
from inhalation.

Fire Hazard:  Compound is heavier than air and may travel a considerable
distance to source of ignition and flash back.  It forms explosive
mixtures with air over a wide rang [4.3 - 45% BillMc]....  When heated to
decomposition, it emits highly toxic fumes of oxides of sulfur.
Incompatible with many materials including strong oxidizers, metals, ....
Avoid physical damage to containers; sources of ignition; storage near
nitric acid, strong oxidizing materials, and corrosive liquids or gases.

Health Hazard: Exposure to very high concentrations causes immediate
death.  Also death of permanent injury may occur after very short exposure
to small quantities. It acts directly upon the nervous system resulting in
paralysis of respiratory centers. [no wonder the bees are quiet ehh??
BillMc]

Protective Clothing:  For emergency situations, wear a positive pressure,
pressure-demand, full facepiece self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA)
or pressure-demand supplied air respirator with escape SCBA and
fully-encapsulating, chemical resistant suit.

First Aide: Warning:  Caution is advised.  Vital signs should be monitored
closely.

Signs and symptoms of Acute Hydrogen Sulfide Exposure:  Signs and symptoms
of acute exposure to hydrogen sulfide may include tachycardia (rapid heart
rate) or bradycardia (slow heart rate), hypotension (low blood pressure),
cyanosis (blue tint to skin and mucous membrane), cardiac palpitations, and
cardiac arrhythmia's.  Dyspnea (shortness of breath), tachypnea (rapid
respiratory rate), bronchitis, pulmonary edema, respiratory depression, and
respiratory paralysis may occur. Neurological effects include giddiness,
irritability, drowsiness, weakness, confusion, delirium amnesia, cough,
convulsions, and coma may be noted.  Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are
commonly seen.  Exposure to hydrogen sulfide gas may result in skin
irritation, lacrimation (tearing), inability to detect odors, photophobia
(heightened sensitivity to light), and blurred vision.

This is only a portion of the file I have on hand.  But I guess you get the
idea.  This chemical is some bad ju ju.  I suspect you are not quieting
your bees, you are poisoning them and yourself.

BillMc
Deer Trail CO