From:
Mike Rossander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 06:58:50 -0700
Allen asked: "to those who have used EPS for a period of time ... Do you do anything special to break in the new boxes?  Do you air them out, or just use them as-is?"

I have three polystyrene hives.  Except for an experiment with a top-bar hive, polystyrene is all I've ever used since I started beekeeping in 2000.  I have never had any absconds, though I also have never tried to move bees into a box in the fall.  With those caveats about experience:

I do not specially air out the polystyrene hives, either deeps or supers.  I do glue the corners during assembly (white glue is sufficient) and paint the exterior (some for sun protection but mostly for camoflage).  I suppose you could count the time they're hanging for the paint to dry as time airing them out.  It's at best a day or two.  I use a notched inner cover at the top instead of drilling upper ventilation through the box itself, except in winter when I simply leave the hive-top feeder on - it acts as a decent moisture sink.

Mike Rossander