From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:50:33 -0600
> 2X diamter and force goes up 2X.
> 3X diameter and force goes up 3X. I.e.
> Increases in Diameter have a linear effect on force.

> It's important to get the RPM right!

FWIW, we run our Kelleys up to 200 to 240 RPM maximum speed
depending on the amount of comb breakage we are experiencing.  This in
turn depends on the thickness of the honey.

The reel diameter is 56 inches in diameter, so a formula to determine a
good trial speed for another diameter would be:

S = 220 X 56 / D

Where S is the speed in RPM and D is the diameter of your extractor reel
(not tank) in inches.

Half to 2/3rds the above speed (S) is a good starting speed,  with
acceleration depending on how fast the combs empty.  We have found a
1140/1725 two-speed motor works well if non-variable pullies are used for
reduction to the values calculated above.  1140 gives a slow speed, and
1725 is used once most of the honey is out.

Allen