From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:55:54 -0500
Hello Randy,

Thank you for your response to my post!

Regarding this statement you made:

"Works in nature.  Works for Africanized bees.  The long term approach will
be to select for colonies that suppress varroa reproduction."

Do you know what the rate of evolutionary adaptation is for honey bees?  I know that generations of bacteria are about 20 minutes apart.  The generation time for humans (published I think) is 15 years.  Although, maybe that has changed since human females reach reproductive competence earlier now.  I haven't found an update.

And do you know how the adaptation rate for honey bees compares to the rate of introduction of new stressors (meaning pests or herbicides/pesticides)?

Sincerely,

Christina