Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 03:15:04 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Bob

I would not deny something happened in the winter of 2006/2007 to honeybees across the nation. I've always had a problem with the categorizing of CCD data by the home address of a migratory beekeeper. In the CCD data the home state was almost a random variable in a sea of self diagnosis and possibly misdiagnosis. To try and draw any sort of useful conclusions from surveys on that complex of a situation seems hopeless. 

The whole CCD episode spawned a genre of "The Bee are Dying" movies, books, media stories and conspiracy theories that are now assumed facts by the public, media and beekeepers. Now anyone can blame dead bees they hear about on a whole host of possible scary causes like, GMO's, Bayer neonics, cell phones, pesticides, global warming! 

In my view the urban myth of ongoing massive and mysterious bee deaths provides an overdue spotlight for the industry. I see no reason to try and put a stop to the misinformation since pollinator health has never been a priority in this country. Public policy and interest is at all time high levels and the focus on beekeepers and local honey is a perfect storm of opportunity. Honey prices for small lots are running $2.00 a pound right now up here.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2