Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:05:38 +1300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
I was reading a post here on Bee-L a couple of days ago from a beek who has to protect his apiaries and self from snakes. It got me thinking. 
>
>Those of us living in New Zealand are privileged in many ways in terms of the limited number of hazards and pests we have to deal with. We have no real large (or small for that matter) predators to deal with - no bears, big cats, skunks, snakes, toads, hornets, Africanised bees, etc, to threaten either us or our hives, and for most who don't read international forums like beesource, no concept of the lengths some of you have to go to just to keep self and bees safe. 
>
>We get floods, earthquakes and snow of course in areas.. but not hard extended winters like northern US, and deserts here are, well... lacklustre by many standards. 
>
>So anyway, I write our local newsletter (hundred plus readers) - and I thought it'd be an eye opener to do a pictorial article for our beeks about just what others go through. 
>
>So, a request, Bee-L contributors:   do you have pics you would be willing to share with our readers? The pics must be your own of course - I've seen plenty of great pics of bear fences, bear damage, snakes nesting in boxes, etc, but I won't use them without the owner's permission, so easiest to ask you all directly rather than try and chase around. 
>
>I know it's late notice with everyone prepping for holidays, but if at all possible I'd like to include this in my New Year edition, out about 1 January.   
> 
>Can you help?  Would very much appreciate any contributions.   
> 
>regards
>Deanna Corbett
>Hawke's Bay Branch of the National Beekeepers' Association (New Zealand)

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2