From:
John A Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:14:18 -0400
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Rory Stenerson wrote:

> Bob Rolfness wrote:
>
> "Is the acid legal now in the USA?"

Rory, No. Using Formic Acid is not legal in the USA.  It is legal to use
in Canada following the label instructions only.

I realize there are people using and experimenting with formic acid,
however I cannot recommend it's use.  Formic acid is extremely hazardous
due to being a highly corrosive acid- it burns quickly any skin it touches
- Vapors from the acid will burn lungs and other mucous membranes, causing
damage.  Extreme caution is needed. It requires a respirator, acid apron,
plastic gloves and boots.  Doesn't all this protection give a hint that
the material should be used with care.

We are continuing experiments to develope application methods and
formulations that will reduce exposure to the applicator require less
applications.  When we have reproducable data the results will shared.

At this stage we need additional miticides desparately, however,
experimenting with dangerous materials before we confirm whether they work
or not, in a safe manner, is like gambling.  Is it worth the risk?

As a beekeeper I get more impatient than most that we need thorough
testing of new materials and this takes too much time for research and
registration and labelling.  I certainly hope the process could be sped up
but until this happens we keep working.

Live long and pollinate,  Grins, John

John A. Skinner           218 Ellington Hall
Extension Apiculturist    University of Tennessee
[log in to unmask]          Knoxville, TN  37901   (423)974-7138