From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2012 20:56:04 -0300

> >* Is the whole RNAi approach one which the majority of those who work
> with bees would endorse?

I doubt it. The virus silencing only works when the virus is active and we
do not know when will they be. Therefore if one wants to use the RNAi we
will need to be giving this product on a sort of continous base and most
probably that end up been unpayable. The varroa use is more promising but
doubt they will be able to deliver the RNAi throught the bees toward the
varroa, but who knows. And nosema is no problem when one uses oregano.

> > Are there unforeseen dangers? No idea and probably no one knows.
>
> >* Is Monsanto likely to segregate and patent essential bee
> characteristics or genes?

Most probably, but probably it is not yet in their plans. They are on to
bees mainly because of beeologic RNAi possibility.
Now because the GMO honey issue at Europe they need some additional PR.
Doubt they will acomplish anything on that matter. GMOFree is the mood.

http://www.ohnegentechnik.org/das-siegel/voraussetzungen/nutzung-des-siegels-bei-honig.html

> >* Will Monsanto's or other large ag firms' involvement in our area of
> agriculture result in
> serious externalities, borne by beekeepers who are not their customers, as
> it has in
> other aspects of agriculture? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externality

 Externalities. The southamerican market towards europe is almost totatally
stop because of GMO. Spain beekeepers are going downhill because of the
same.

Good we have a bad season cause of La Niņa, otherwise the price would had
fallen to the ground. We are already 60% lower than past season.

Not a nice time to be a beekeeper downhere.

Happy new year to all of you!!!

Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.
Carrera 695