From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 23:47:23 -0500
Hello All,
> 1. virus is spread by contamination on flowers

Herve asked:
>I understand this assertion comes from a presentation.

In her presentation Diana Cox Foster said the virus was left on the flower
by a bee and then picked up by another bee. She also said a bee could carry
the virus back to the hive without contracting the virus.

I attended both presentations plus spoke privately with her. I also reviewed
my notes before commenting. I am not sure nor was it in my notes exactly how
long the virus remains viable on a flower.

The implications in almonds are huge but keep in mind that if you can
control varroa ( keep load very low) then the vector aspect seems (my
opinion) to reduce virus impact. Which is the beekeeper position.

The other side of the coin:

The work of the U.K. ( Norman Carrick) was designed to prove that if you can
control virus then honey bees can control varroa. Norman ran experiments
with hives surviving quite well with a really high varroa load when virus
was controlled and was the subject of his apimunda paper (which he trusted
me to read months before presented to the beekeeping world).

The year I spent on the Irish beekeeping list I learned quite a bit about
virus as Norman Carrick was on the list also. Lloyd Spears, Ruary and Murray
( on BEE-L now) were also on the list back then ( five years ago I believe).

Perhaps they might add their comments from what they remember of Norman's
posts.

 A search of the Irish Beekeeping List from around 2000/2001 using my name
and Norman Carrick should pull up some of those posts.
I was very skeptical back then so I warn those doing a search.

I think Lloyd and I were about the only Americans on the list which did
posts but I am sure there were many lurkers. If you are on BEE-L now and
remember those discussion please comment.

. I hated to leave the list but time is my most precious asset. I still have
got many of the friends I made back then! Talk of beekeeping and meeting at
the local pub!

 The work of Diana Cox Foster is bringing attention to the virus issue. It
is my opinion that researchers in the U.S. never embraced the work of
Bailey, Norman C. or Brenda B.

 Volumes of virus research are available in the U.K. through Rothamsted
Research of the U.K.. Rothamsted is 160 years young!

www.rothamsted.ac.uk

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
--