From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 23:05:55 -0500
Peter said:
Yes, there were rumours about antibiotic abuse, but Ministry tests last year
found no evidence.  I think that to say 'Many are using antibiotics
illegally in the U.K.' is a bit sweeping  - and probably incorrect!

I almost did not answer the post as not wanting to provide information which
might encourage  those using the illegal methods in the U.K.but in the
interest of the discussion will.

If Terramycin/ powdered sugar  is used correctly as is supposed to be in the
U.S. there is very little chance of FDA /U.S.D.A. detection or *Ministry
detection in the U.K.*.

Terramycin is not a very stable antibiotic and is not very effective in
syrup *unless* used by the bees right away. Terramycin starts losing its
effectiveness after approx. 24 hours in syrup.

Terramycin is easy to detect if given in syrup and stored by the bees.

 Detection of Sulfa drugs is easy when in syrup and stored by the bees.

In the U.S. most terramycin is sprinkled across the frames with powdered
sugar and consumed right away by the bees and almost never stored and all
treatments are completed at least SIX WEEKS before the honey flow.

 If done as recommended detection after the end of the six weeks is almost
impossible IF consumed by the bees and not stored.

Peter said:
The use of antibiotics (presumably OTC) to try to control EFB seems futile
because the antibiotic does not kill the bacteria - it is a bacteriostat,
not a bacteriocide.

Yawn!

Peter said:
 Of course, you can keep pumping in antibiotic if you wish ... (unless you
live in the UK).

If you are not finding detectable amounts of OTC in your honey then I must
have been mistaken about the amount of illegal use of OTC in the U.K.. I
apologize!

Bob