Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:34:53 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I do think 1 part of beekeeping is just luck.  It could be WHERE you live or where your apiary is situated.  It could be you got just the “right” bees when you bought or found them.  It could be that you guessed what was wrong or what your bees needed and you were right.

Tanya,  wonderful reply,  But I have to disagree on this one point.......  I don't think there is any luck at all involved in beekeeping.   It comes down to planning and being aware and on top of the situation.   What most would refer to as husbandry.

A little luck can play in honey production,  as weather is the driving influence on that final number,  but keeping the bees alive and thriving today is based on knowing the weather,  and working around and with it to be sure your bees have what they need.  Either  enough forage acres(not crowded)  supplemental feeding when you take too much,  and proper treatment when things like mites or nosema jump in. 

When I look at the successful beekeepers lucky is not a word I would use.  Hard working and dedication and attention to details and planning. No matter if its 5 hives or 5000.  The men and women who are good at it,  are good at it year after year after year.

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2