From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 17:15:17 -0500
Tim Sterrett wrote:

>     New beekeepers should remember that many of the old-timers on this
> newslist used gloves when they began keeping bees.  And many of us will use
> gloves if gloves will keep us from getting a lot of stings.  If I had to hive
> a swarm that I knew had been hanging up for several days, I would get out the
> gloves.  If I had to take apart a hive at night in the rain, I would get out
> the gloves.
>     Many of us are able to work the bees on sunny days when the bees are busy
> working.  At these times, gloves may not be necessary and working without
> gloves is easier (and cooler in hot weather).
> Tim
> Tim Sterrett
> Westtown, (Southeastern) Pennsylvania, USA
> 39*55'N 75*33'W

Tim -

I agree whole heartedly. Some of us (myself) do beekeeping as a hobby and cannot
afford some stings on the hand as it greatly affects my day-to-day business. I too will
use gloves most of the time but will do with out when I know the risk is low. Most times
you just get a feel for the bees as to how their temperment will be. I do residential
remodeling five days a week and getting stung on the finger tips and then having to use
the hand the next day can be quite unpleasant. A sting on the back of the hand is no
problem though.

I recall a situation this last summer when I was out with a friend at one of his yards to
check on the condition of his hives. I suited up and had my veil on but decided to leave
my gloves off as I was just going to observe while he did the manipulations. As soon as
he cracked the inner cover of the first hive, the bees shot out the top with a very
strong buzz. I immediately stepped back away from the hive. As soon as I did, I had
several bees pounding on my veil. I had my hands in my pocket but yet that is the first
place they went for. The first sting was right through the pocket on my hand. When I
made the mistake of taking my hand out of my pocket to get the gloves in my back
pocket, new flesh was attacked. As I was still walking away from the hives, I managed
to get the gloves on but the gauntlets were still bunched around my wrists. I finally got
in the pick-up truck and one by one killed off the bees. I ended up with at least a dozen
stings around my wrists and lower arm. Things tend to happen very fast when you
least expect it. I tend to be better prepared for the unexpected these days. Beekeeping
is not my livelihood so I don't spend near the amount of time handling bees as those
whose livelihood it is. I do agree with those who say that by not wearing gloves forces
them to be more "in tune" with the bees and tend to work "with" the bees not just work
the bees.
That's my experience.

-Barry

--