From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:10:54 -0600
Bob Darrell said:
Of all the countries we have entered ( US, UK, Ireland, Netherlands,
Canada, etc) NZ seems to have the the most impressive agricultural
security.  This doesn't mean that things cannot go wrong (varroa on
north island in 2000), but they appear to have their heads screwed on
right.

I agree!   My close friend Sharon Gibbons (Missouri commercial beekeeper)
toured NZ last year teaching about varroa control and she told me of the
tight agriculture security. This type of security ONLY prevents people from
bringing in beekeeping pests on their person.

Varroa apparently entered the country another way. The hypothesis presented
by Tim in response to my post was told to Tim by researchers on a U.S. tour.
Many hypothesis as to how the spread of bee pests happens exist.
Ever since Dr. Kerr admitted he smuggled African queens out of Africa to
Brazil we assume the practice is widespread.
I travel in the circles of the outlaws of beekeeping and have NEVER been
told they brought queens or bees in illegally and many of my friends have
been all over the world looking at beekeeping operations including over ten
trips to Brazil to look at AHB.
I am close friends with several bee inspectors on both coasts. They
constantly catch and look at swarms around sea ports. One of the first
things Florida bee inspectors wanted to find out was if small hive beetle
traveled in swarms with bees. The answer was yes! (D.V. Florida bee
inspection service 1998).

Florida port swarm monitoring:
Tampa Tribune    2/1/2003
http://www.tampatrib.com/MGAGKJBOLBD.html