From:
Ann Dougherty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:08:30 -0700
I was stocking my observation hive the other day with a frame of capped
brood and a queen cell.  The comb was a little wider than the walls
(glass) of the little hive and subsequently one side of the frame was less
than a bee space frome the glass.  Over night the bees started to change
the cap from a convex shape to a concave design.  In fact the cell is
actually shorter in length.  Isn't the pupa already crammed into the cell?
Has anyone experienced this before?

There seems to be a general thread running through this list concerning
possible contamination of honey from fluvalinate or terramycin.  I'm real
clear on Apistan and only use it for 5 weeks in the fall with good
results.
I've always put on extender patties between the 2 brood boxes when the
cherries bloom and left them in all season. I was lead to believe that
only the nurse bees were diligent enough to gnaw on the patties and hence
the terramycin would never get into the honey supers. Now I hear that no
medication should be be in the hive with the honey supers.

What do you other folks do?

Jim Nietmann
Kirkland,Wa. USA