From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2013 00:15:13 -0000
>The Precautionary Principle (as currently implemented in many EU member
states) seems to demand that all possible risk be eliminated before a new
technology is adopted.

Disagree.  I do not think that it 'seems to demand that all possible risk be
eliminated'.  It just provides a very much needed breathing space to
evaluate the risks as fully as possible.  Given the current disastrous state
of our pollinators - especially in the U.S. - is this not sensible?

>In contrast, Risk Assessment inherently admits that there is a non-zero,
but
still acceptable level of risk associated with all actions, and attempts to
gauge the relative risk, and compare it to current levels of risk currently
assumed.

Risk assessment does not inherently 'admit' anything; it is simply a process
for identifying what risks exist.  Having done that, it is for humans to
decide whether or not the risk is acceptable or not.

>So, while my new Volvo V70 wagon might seem unacceptably risky given the
complexity of 11 onboard computers...

Think I'll stick with the Land Rover.

Best wishes

Peter