From:
KATHY PRESLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:25:07 -0400
I am going into my second fall with my 2 hives.  One hive died over the
winter from trachea mites due to my misapplication of menthol (didn't leave
it in long enough to evaporate completely) and the other hive did great.  I
bought some package bees locally to replace the dead ones, and they have
done great.  I am highly motivated to keep them all doing great!

I live near Atlanta, Georgia in the US.  We have hot, humid summers.  Right
now it is in the mid-80's (Faranheit) but could easily climb back into the
90's before things get more comfortable in October.

I have screened bottom boards on my hives.  Should I place the menthol packs
on top of the brood frames, or on the bottom boards?  I am also using grease
patties.

I am going to ask some locals, including the man that I purchased the bees
from, but I want some other opinions too!

Thanks in advance
Kathy Presley, no relation to Elvis