From:
Metro Propolis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2012 08:54:22 -0700

>The box is the width of a Lang, same depth as a deep Lang box, and 4' long, with a rabbet running the whole length.  This yields enough
>space for 33 deep frames....  This design has the weight benefits of a TBH but is more compatible with your existing equipment and allows you to use an extractor if you want.
>The Dartington Long Deep (DLD) hive takes
14 x 12 inch and can take up to 17 frames. It is possible to have 2
colonies in the brood box as there is an entrance at either end. It has
half size honey supers which take 6 frames can be used which are lighter
 than full supers and are therefore easier to lift.[18] The Dartington
originally developed by Robin Dartington so that he could keep bees on
his London rooftop.

These two snippets describe the horizontal Lang I built last winter.    I noticed there was no standardized method of building a Horizontal Lang, so set out to build my own.    It turned into a gratuitous exercise in overengineering and feature creep.   It is superable, and partitionable.    I dub it the "Langstrough Observation Hive".

Here's a hi-res picture of it:

    http://s01060000b4c5602e.cg.shawcable.net/tmp/Langstrough_Observation_Hive/Langstrough_Hive.jpg

Here's other pictures of it in various configurations:

    http://s01060000b4c5602e.cg.shawcable.net/tmp/Langstrough_Observation_Hive/