From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 13:05:26 -0400
mcmanus wrote:

> If the flowers are from a
> Raspberry patch, the nectar tastes like Raspberry, from the Blackberry
> plant, tastes like Blackberry and so on.
>     The closer to the flower that you put your hives, the better chance that
> the honey will taste like berry you pick.

Now this is just hard to believe.  Yes, it is true that honeys from different
floral sources have different flavors, but how in the world can the honey taste
like the fruit?  I have had a yard about 35 feet from a 2 acre raspberry field
for the last 10 years or so and have never tasted the slightest hint of
raspberry in this wonderfully light and extra sweet honey.  I have another yard
in an apple/peach orchard, and yet the honey would never give any taste of
apple.  I could go on an on with other examples, but the point is that honey
tastes like honey, fruit like fruit, even if there are subtleties in the
various flavors of each.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA