Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 15:59:24 GMT
Thank you, Tim.

>>There is no doubt that chasing the black locust bloom can be
frustrating at best.

Frustrating and interesting at the same time. :)

>>What was your weather like during 2006 and was it a year of
abundant rainfall and ample growth or one of poor amounts of water
and stress?

The 2006 here was somewhat average although it got very dry in August
(this year I'll pay attention and see if locust leaves drop).  The
winter was very mild with a cold snap in March that set plant
development back.  The August drought may have affected the locust
carbohydrate stores [although the blossoms are quite spectacular with
strong fragance].

>>Most who have Nut or Fruit bearing trees and shrubs know that our
production this year is very heavily dependent upon last years
conditions...

Except for peaches most of my trees set fewer fruit than the year
before.  Perhaps this corrolates to the locust.  I was looking for
grey locust pollen on the bees but they are mostly coming back with
bright orange pollen.

I should explain that the bee traffic during the locust bloom has
been quite varied and the hives are gaining weight although not at
the rate that would follow the opening of the healthy looking blossoms

>>In reading Walt Wrights article, I would only have a couple of
questions; 1. Do all of the hives in an apiary experience
this "storage lull" at precisely the same time?

In his other articles he mentions the swarm prep and cut-off
typically occur at the same time in a given area with a few days
variation from hive to hive.  If the nectar storage lull is real, it
can result in a significant hive-to-hive difference since locust
flows last about 10 days.

>>It would seem  more logical in my mind to search for the answer in
the cycle of the nectar source than the cycle of the bee colony.

I am starting to lean this way, too.  I also read that warm/hot
weather makes the locust petals softer making it easier for the bee
to breach the flower to get to the nectar.

I wonder if the Caucasian bees' longer tongues would allow them to
collect more locust honey?  A fellow beekeeper introduced Caucasian
queens into his operation for their reputed gentleness several years
ago and he gets great locust crops from year to year.  Perhaps I
should try his queens in my area.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Waldemar