From:
Bryan Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 07:42:04 +1200
Allan Dick wrote

On the subject of AFB, I don't think that it is necessary to actually kill
the spores to prevent reinfection.  Being submerged in hot wax seems to
disable AFB spores sufficiently that chances of re-infestation are nil,

My experience in NZ is that all hives have AFB spores but only when they
get to a critical level do the clinical symptoms show and the hive breaks
down. On that basis the covering and or diluting of the spores will inhibit
the spread but I assure you that it is not permeant. We don't feed any anti
biotic or drugs and I promise you gear that is not heated to 160c for at
least 10 minutes will eventually break down. We are also confident that
this break down is not cross infection from another source.  We have seen
it happen to many times, If the wax is to cold or it is not in for long
enough, you can expect trouble.

If covering the spores is the aim and not treating timber, why not soak the
gear in sodium Hypochlorite at 0.05% with water for 20 minutes as this
kills AFB. Remember bleach degrades in sunlight so you can not make the mix
last for ever.

On the matter of gloves, I have staff that work 4000 hives with out gloves
but my personal preference is gloves as I can move much faster but there is
a down side the guys don't like working hives next to were I am raising a
"storm".

On the matter of dipping. If the wood is not bone dry do not dip in wax.
Put the new box's out on the hives for one season and dip them next works
well.

Bryan Clements
Waikato Honey Products Ltd
www.honeynz.co.nz