From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 2016 14:27:30 -0500
I agree that this discussion has devolved to largely a matter of semantics. My definition of absconding is when an intact colony departs in whole  with queen much as a swarm does but leaving no bees (or perhaps a few stragglers) behind in a single move. This in my 40 year experience is extremely rare with our European bees. The only time it has been an issue for me is with mini mating nucs that I neglected too long. I am in the frozen north so SHB is not yet an issue. That said I believe that Debora's colony almost certainly died of varroa infestation. I emphasize almost certain, there are some other unlikely causes.

What got me to respond (generally I lurk) is the comment "if I choose to try treatment free beekeeping". I believe that it is incumbent on all of us experienced beekeepers to energetically tell all inexperienced beekeepers or prospective beekeepers that that is not a viable option. Especially when what they are often saying is that they choose to be unobservant or occasional beekeepers (beehavers fits here). A person with many years of experience and a keen scientific mind may wish to pursue that option and if they are successful and can pass on that knowledge we will all be grateful and benefit. I would nominate such a person if successful for a Nobel prize.

Beekeeping can be rewarding and for some of us profitable. It is an endless and fascinating journey with many destinations but most certainly it is not easy. Never was and especially is not now. If you want to keep bees you need to learn to walk before you can run.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA