From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:11:46 -0500
>Medhat has developed a vaporizer that uses forced air to open the cluster so that the vapors can penetrate.  He has much more data of efficacy of OA vapor.

Yes.  Medhat has been working on such a device, as have others, including Cowan Manufacturing.

A number of my friends have various versions of Cor Dewit's orginal machine which is on the market, BTW.
http://honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/cor.htm
http://honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/cor2004.htm

Russel played with this in Tucson at a meeting:
http://honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/2005/russel1.jpg
http://honeybeeworld.com/diary/images/2005/russel2.jpg

I thought I had a lot more pictures and info in my diary, but have not found it at this point.  I think I may organize a bit better and post more later.

I phoned my friends to see if they are using their machine and they say that right now, everyone is using strips -- Apivar, since it is available and works well.

They also say that the biggest problem is getting the hives at a broodless time and that multiple applications are indicated in their opinion.

The following is from BEE-L some time back (I was apparently wrong about the OA breakdown products when exposed to excess heat).

The physical properties of oxalic acid may be of interest in this connection. The stuff one buys is usually oxalic acid dihydrate, which is a crystal which has two water molecules attached to each oxalic acid molecule. The CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics gives the following properties for oxalic acid dihydrate:

On heating:

1) The water of hydration leaves at 101.5° C (214.7° F) The water boils off leaving anhydrous oxalic acid crystals.
2) At 157° C (314.6° F) the oxalic acid starts to sublime (goes directly from solid to gas)
3) At 189° C (372.2° F) the oxalic acid which has not yet sublimed decomposes to formic acid and carbon monoxide.