From:
Stefan Stangaciu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 23:04:58 +0200
Dr. Abdo Husseiny <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>is there anyone who know of the use of honey as a systemic antibiotic?

        Hello dear Dr. Husseiny and Bee-L friends,

    "Systemic" means something which affects the whole body and not only
parts of it.

    Honey has powerful antibacterial properties, according to its origin
(the best one seem to be thyme honey), but, in my personal opinion, it would
be better to consider it as a potentially very good LOCAL antibiotic (like
is the case in the treatment of wounds, burns and scalds) and not so much as
a "systemic" antibiotic.

    Systemic antibiotic can be considered another bee hive product: the
propolis.

        Best wishes,

    Stefan Stangaciu, MD, LAcup.

PS References on the antibiotic properties of honey you may find also in our
Apitherapy Reference Data Base (www.sci.fi/~apither). Look for the following
Pages:

    * Honey's Properties Bibliography
    * Bacteriology and Honey Bibliography
    * Infectious Diseases and Honey Bibliography

    GOOD LUCK!