From:
Jerry Fries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:57:55 -0800
I am very interested in this subject due to where I live , Alaska. We have
a very short season ,we need bees which build up fast and are gentle in
poor conditions. We do have days in the 60 to 70 degree temps but median
for most summer days is "usually" in the 50's.I supply bees here to about
150 beekeepers each year and I am constantly trying to get the best bee I
can find. So far this is what I have found.I order my bees from Kohnan and
sons in Glenn California,They have 2 basic bees Italian or "yellow" bees
and Carniolan or "black " bees. I get orders for both. My customers tell me
that the Italians are more gentle and build up faster,they also make more
honey.Some customers order carniolans because they say they get through the
winter better.They stop raiseing brood in about november and start again
"usually"the end of january or into february thus needing a lot less food.
My experience matches my customers.The carniolans are not orderd in near
the quantity as the Italians because they are to agressive in our
environment. I would love to try some buckfast or some others but not many
breeders are enthused about doing business with us because we are far away
(just a Plane ride) and because we do not make huge orders.About 200 to 250
Packages is what I order.There are a couple of other suppliers of about the
same size. Well I dont know if I contributed or not but I hope so. Please
tell me about Buckfast suppliers or for that matter any suggestions about
improving my breed of bee

                        Jerry Fries