From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 20:19:26 +0000
Robert O'Hara wrote:

> Don't use a baggie feeder unless you want to drown your bees. My first
> ever package of bees coupled with a cold wet spring and a baggie feeder
> was my first bee disaster.  Made the slits about one inch long just like

Hi Rob -

Keep in mind that one negative experience with a procedure doesn't necessarily mean
that it's not good or shouldn't be recommended. I think you pointed out some of the
reasons why you may have had a negative experience with the feeders. Cold is one of
them. You are very correct in pointing out the pros of "jar" feeding as the benifits are
many especially in the cold weather. When I used the baggie method, I was wanting to
get alot of "feed" to the bees in a short time and it was done in the early fall. I had
extracted a fall crop of honey from a couple of hives and I had some earlier honey that I
had extracted that was a little too wet so I gave it back to them. In this setting, the
baggie did very well for me. I don't know how others have used this system but like
everything, it has limits too.

Regards

-Barry

--