From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:23:08 -0600
Hello Bill & All,

Bill said:
I know, since I bought some over-the-counter
> back about 1970.

I can say for sure you never used a neonicotinoid systemic back then. I
personally have never heard of an over the counter systemic before the
neonicotinoid revolution. I knew about temik and knew the product was
registered first by Union Carbide and then sold to Bayer. However Bayer
owned the product when problems started in Florida.

> There are lots of them now.

Yes but all I know about are neonicotinoids. 190 plus brand names. Systemic
is fairly new to the growers I am in contact with. Sevin & Penncap M. are
their chemicals of choice. Used correctly I have not got problems with
either.

> Many contact pesticides are much worse for bees

You make a point and a point the beekeeping industry thought was fact. Now
we wonder. There still is not a lot of concern in beekeeping circles until
we see bigger losses which can be traced back to the new lab created
neonicotinoids which are in our plants.

> Even the PBS show noted that Frances bee problems had not gone away

Sorry but my contacts are beekeepers in France. PBS can say what they want.
I tried to line up two noted French beekeepers to speak on imidacloprid at
the convention in California but the people in charge seemed to think maybe
learning to make lip balm or creamed honey was of greater value ( kidding!)
My offer was rejected (maybe due to cost involved).

>There was a massive bee die-off after gaucho from another pesticide.

I will try and check this out but something I have never heard before. Can
you share the source of your information Bill?

Bill ( or another member with a high speed hook up) can you find and post
why the U.K. has banned temik? Now is a busy time for me as I was gone for 5
weeks. I tried to find the information once for about a half hour but only
found information that the product was banned but not the reason.

bob

--
believed to be clean.