From:
Gerard Worrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 07:51:01 -0500
Tom Hochheimer requested information on honey contaminated by Apistan.
Tom please explain exactly what you did. IF you removed ALL supers when
you installed the Apistan and then removed the Apistan prior to replacing
your supers, you will not have contaminated your honey. If on the other
hand, you removed and extracted the honey, putting the wet supers back on
with the Apistan still in place you will have gotten some Apistan into
the honey. There have been some comments on the small amount of Apistan
in the brood combs (don't extract them for human use), but since it is a
contact miticide, the residual down below can be "tracked"up into the
supers. Not enough to worry about.
   BTW, some of the comments I received on the viruses being used, not
being a pesticide, why is, then, a miticide still considered a pesticide?
Let's face it any formulation used to kill 'critters' we consider a pest
is a pesticide IMHO.
--
Gerard P.Worrell Beekeeper with 25 colonies
(410)257-3267  Dunkirk,MD USA