From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:18:21 -0700
> farmers would be forced to adjust
> As no mention is made of how they might "adjust", this  phrase implies
> that they have other options that,  irrespective of cost, would pollinate
> the same number
> of blooms in the same fields at the same level of  density as currently
> done by honeybees.  > (Tapping foot impatiently...)

Sorry to make you wait, Jim.  I have to catch a little sleep from time to
time.
That phrase in no way "implies" anything of the sort!  Farmers adjust all
the time to crop failure, changing markets, contamination scares that leave
their crops unsellable, the weather, etc.  The adjustments are often quite
painful to both the farmer and the consumer.  When honeybees collapsed here
in Calif when varroa first hit, it was nearly impossible to grow cucumbers,
since there were not enough native squash bees.

I think that I've made it clear to most that I accept that the current
agribusiness large farm model is what we have.  Also, that I make my living
servicing it with honeybees.  But that doesn't mean that there aren't other
possible models (again, please don't pigeonhole me--I'm not promoting or
denigrating other models--this is a DISCUSSION group).  Whether other models
come to be is going to depend upon the market, just as organic farming in
Calif is shifting from niche toward mainstream.

In a free enterprise society, farmers are in the position of deciding what
crop to grow, and how to grow it most profitably, in light of the variables
of climate, soil, market demand, supply by others, logistics of transport,
etc.  The end result of the free enterprise system is to produce the
greatest profit to the farmer.  Our government steps in with social
engineering through regulation, tax breaks, and subsidies to effect certain
goals, such as producing reserves of commodity foodstuffs, but mainly to
ensure that farm state congressmen get reelected.

As far as I'm concerned, the NP folk can make any claim they want, just as
the pesticide folk, fertilizer folk, or tractor folk can.  The market will
decide what works in reality.

>> yet agriculture would surely continue
>
> Is this a statement of fact, or wishful thinking, given
> that I'm still waiting for an answer to the question above?

Well, at least you're not waiting for the first any more.  It's a statement
of fact.  Agriculture is resilient.  As long as there is sunlight and water,
and demand for food, agriculture will continue.  Without the honeybee, it
would certainly be in a different form, and fruit and nut crops would
greatly suffer UNTIL THE FARMERS FIGURED OUT A REPLACEMENT.  Farmers could
grow almonds today without honeybees, by either planting self pollinating
cultivars, or by hand pollinating.  At the current time, however, it is more
cost effective for them to rent bees, although as rental rates increase,
they are certainly looking more seriously at other options.  In many of the
orchards I pollinate, growers use huge fans to attempt to blow pollen from
one row of trees to another.

Farmers are an ingenious lot.  Agriculture will continue.  Fact.

> 4) "These big giant monocultures pretty much hammer the bee habitat".
Yep, but don't criticize with your mouth full.
...tell me that smaller-scale farming is what we need.

I never told you that, even with my full mouth.
Jim, you sure have a way of putting words into other people's mouths!
Big monoculture hammers bee habitat.  Fact, not criticism.
It's a cheap shot to try to paint everyone who has a different opinion than
yours as a wild-eyed dreamer!

Obviously, there are plenty of wild-eyed dreamers out there, but to paint
anyone who supports biodiversity as such indicates that you are using too
wide a brush.
The fact that they suggested conserving pollinator habitat around golf
courses doesn't mean that they think that's going to affect agriculture
miles away.

> Why these native pollinator folks want to exploit, rather than  preserve
> these species remains a mystery to me.

Jim, have you changed brands of coffee lately?  Your posts used to be much
more reasoned and logical.  Or maybe you're not used to all the sugar in
your Honey Maid Bees!

Randy Oliver