From:
Paula Franke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 20:20:17 -0400
First off, thanks to those who responded to our call for help on Tuesday
afternoon. As things turned out, the blackberry thicket was less formidable
than expected.

The hive swarmed out at about 3:30 p.m. and looked very much like a flimsy
tornado as it prepared to leave. The thicket where they settled is about
200-300 feet away from the hiveyard.

After studying the layout for a few minutes, we decided that Dan'l would
climb up the hill and go into the thicket from the back and above, while I
stayed in the field below, calling out directions (I could still see a few
bees circling). With some judicious pruning as he went, Dan'l was able to
get right next to the swarm, which was hanging from a large blackberry
cane. He clipped off the cane and put the whole shebang into a cardboard
box (that had just earlier in the day contained a new Kelley's hivebody).
He had to go back a second time because he missed a smaller cluster on
another cane. The whole operation (not including prep time) took about 30
minutes ( a lot of walking back and forth was involved).

Today, the swarm is happily at home in a new hivebody.

A couple of things learned during the process:
*a beesuit may provide protection from stings, but is useless against
blackberry brambles!
*this swarm had a very distinct aroma of lemons.

And another question: The blackberry thicket was in full bloom. Might that
have been an attractive feature for the swarm?

Thanks again to everyone!

Paula Franke and Dan'l Sisson
http://www.users.kih.net/~pfranke
   "There are only two things to remember about life:
      1. Don't sweat the small stuff
      2. Everything is small stuff."