From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:00:40 -0400
No one seems to either be using FGMO or wants to talk about it. I
asked for input and got the one I posted about the failure of
food grade mineral oil as a varroa controller under Dr. R's
supervision..
I also posted on the sci.bkping newsgroup and got a few
My reasoned guess is that it does not work and you would be
foolish to use it unless as an adjunct in the control of tracheal
mites, since it would work like crisco.
It may kill some varroa since the mechanism is the same that
kills mites on horses and other animals, but it certainly does
not kill them in the ranges posted here by Dr. R many years ago.
It is also interesting that some of his most vocal supporters
left this list for the newsgroup, but I have not seen them on the
newsgroup for a few years. So they are either off the web or out
of beekeeping.
As a strong proponet of back yard experiments, I hoped that FGMO
was a safe varroacide. But as one who believes in the scientific
method (not necessarily science or scientists, but the method) I
wanted outside confirmation, not the word of the proponet. It
appears that the outside tests are in and FGMO failed.
Many object lessons here. One being the power of this medium to
both instruct and to deceive.
The information is free, so I guess we get what we pay for.
Bill T
Bath, Me