From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:41:56 -0500
Hello Gavin & All,

> Bob, these colonies have likely survived a huge challenge as
> whatever-it-is swept through the yard.  Isn't the best explanation that
> they have the genetics to tolerate the pathogen?

Hard to say exactly why these hives are not dead. Perhaps a queen breeder
might try to breed form those dinks but commercial beeks look at things
different. Breeding from survivors is an expensive proposition for the
person which makes a living from bees. We placed two truck loads of bees in
apples tonight. We figure out what the problem is an treat. Let others breed
from survivors.

I seriously doubt a bee which can tolerate nosema ceranae is around the
corner. Even if the USDA_ARS claimed they had a bee which did not need
treatment I would only risk a 100 hives at first. Been burned too many times
by claims.

You are right of course for researchers but keeping dinks and sick bees
around does not work for most of us.
I am curious what Dee is going to do when her hives start crashing from n.
ceranae. Or has it already started.
Will her small cell protect her bees?

> Isn't it likely that if you build up again from these colonies then next
> time your losses would be a lot smaller?

Packages delivered to the Midwest are now around $75 and queens even in the
amounts we order are $15 and up.

I am a businessman and am not interested in management of losses. I had 6%
winter loss. Looks like a decent year in the bees this year. Keeping a dink
hive around when I can make splits from healthy hives does not make sense to
me.

I have got two yards which are doing poorly. The bees were strong enough to
take brood but I left alone. When things slow down I am going to try to
figure out what's wrong.

Management of N. ceranae and switching to sucrose has improved my operation
and also my partner Bell Hill Honey. Bell Hill bees went to California
strong. Made great splits over the last two weeks and went into apples
strong.

I do feel for beeks which are having problems.

bob