From:
Ivan McGill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 06:20:58 -0700

>> Date:    Mon, 20 May 1996 16:27:29 -0400
>> From:    Tim Peters <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Decisions! Decisions!

>It seems to me that the above two paragraphs are somewhat mutually
>exclusive, although I don't know and would be interested in the answer.
>I too have pondered the commercial possibilities, but have never spent
>too much gray matter on it as I have a slim wallet and see a
>commercial venture as placing an extreme demand on a tight budget.  I
>always figured that I'd need some sort of outside funding.  Small
>Business Association?  Rich Uncle?  Lotto?  Hey, you never know!
>Kelley Rosenlund went from a never ever to a commercial operation very
>quickly, perhaps she has some tips?  Or Perhaps David Goble from down
>under?  I would be interested in knowing minimal start up costs,
>equipment required (beyond what a hobby beekeeper needs), sources of
>funding, minimal number of hives required to make a go at it (an
>estimate given on this forum was 200), ways to find beeyards, employee
>requirements, hesitancy of established operations to give hints to
>potential competitors, and whatever else I may have overlooked.  I'm
>sure there's a lot more to making the jump from hobby to livelihood
>than meets the eye.  This is indeed an interesting topic Tim has raised!
>
>Sincerely,
>Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!

For information on commerical operations check with your agricultural
department, apiary branch. The will be able to tell you where to get the
information. Some of the material will be outdated as far as costs go so
you might have to adjust.

About learning a commercial operation - work for or with part time a
commerical beekeeper for one season to make sure that is what you want to
do. Otherwise it is a long road of learning. When working with them you can
see short-cuts or something that can be improved. Why reinvent the wheel.

Ivan