From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:06:02 -0000
From: "Murray McGregor" > " We rarely ever clean the propolis build up off
the side bars, and in the
> warmth of the hive this wax/propolis cocktail you get on the side bars
> is relatively soft. In a BS box there is some space leftover when the
> frames are new or clean, but little when the frames have been in use
> over a period.
> It is this build up that we use to allow us the space to extract the
> first comb, by levering the bars over to one side (actually, that is not
> strictly true, we usually lever between the first and second bars,
> isolating the one at one side) compressing this wax/propolis, and
> creating that quarter to half inch of free space that lets you get in
> and get the job done. "

That's practical - assuming the hive is well made or, since action and
reaction are equal and opposite,  u can lever off the hive wall in time.
Now that remark, plus my next, may  make beekeeperers in all advanced
countries smirk with self satisfaction.  Sloppily made hives?   Ha, ha.
Worse, the standard BS frames,  in the standard National hives I feel I
ought to demonstrate to visitors to my apiary, have straight side bars the
whole depth and the frames are spaced only by clips on the top bars.  So u
cannot compress a whole set as Murray does (evidently using Hoffman frames),
or their bottoms would swing about, crushing bees everywhere!.   Ha, ha, ha
I hear.  What an obsolete old country! - well, we must persuade u all to
take up Rugby and then we can send u our best ambassadors to sort u out.
Meanwhile, I have to suggest using dummies.

Should such dreadful equipment be tolerated at all? Well, the reason I feel
I should show it is that it is the stuff new beekeepers get given or buy
cheap.  People tend to use it until they get keen enough to invest in proper
stuff, and often only then because it is worn out.  I am advertising 'open
days' to local farmers who go on FWAG outings (Farmers Wildlife Advisory
Group) - I hope they will see the benefits of the modern hives I promote but
many will say they expected to learn how to use the abandoned hives they
have just got.

If anyone knows how to persaude beekeepers that old hives are just junk, not
valuable historical items, please let me know.  It is the curse of
small-scale British beekeeping.

Robin Dartington