Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2015 17:58:44 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
---- "E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 
> 
> Really makes me wonder why I should involve myself with such folks.... which is perhaps indirectly an answer to Mr Borst question above.

Because the more such attitude persists, the lower the quality of people involved, since all the experts "know better" to stay away. Unfortunately, as you noted, there *is* some power associated with these positions and these people do act. Then what?

It's same as with politics: everyone complains, but a minority votes and gets what it wants, because the silent majority thinks that it makes no difference. It's my favorite question to ask anyone who's foaming about the state of the US politics: what was the last election you voted in and name me your federal *and* local state representatives, including the elected prosecutors, mayors and commissioners whose jobs are affecting your day to day life. Silence.

Mr. Oliver's recent explanation of why he chooses to stay engaged is the best example of the right thinking. Even though most of the stuff he writes is way, WAY over my head, some of it does stick. Not every beekeeper with a voice is a commercial one with thousands of colonies under management, but with guidance, education and mentoring from the experts even hobbyists will get on board for proper management techniques and will help spread the word. The ignorant hobbyists do get tired of replacing their colonies year after year (I did). The ignorants with positions and titles are a much more dangerous proposition.

Przemek

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2