From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:15:58 -0400
On 27 Aug 99, at 12:58, Computer Software Solutions Ltd wrote:

> Suppose a Queen Breeder in a varroa infested area wishes to send queens to
> a (presumed) non infested area, can the queen and the accompanying workers
> be examined with magnification prior to dispatch to ensure that these bees
> at least do not have the varroa mites?. If it is a proposition, then
> obviously the time taken to do this would have to be taken into account in
> determining the price.

It has often been written, 'remove the workers first'. This being the
case you'll get rid of any varroa on the workers.
        Once or twice subscribers have stated 'never seen varroa on a
queen'.
        Finally there used to be available 'queen tabs'. Small Apistan
strips designed to be used in the queen cages. Not sure if they were
effective or not. Comments anyone?
        Anything that increases the work load should increase the price, but
as a queen breeder, and knowing the logistics involved I doubt if
this is a feasible proposition.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre,
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>