Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:44:31 GMT
I measured the cells in the feral brood comb retrieved last Sat. about 20 mi. (in Great Neck, NY) from my location. The cells in the lower half of the comb averaged 5.03 mm and the cells in the upper half averaged 5.40 mm.  These were the average values; there were slightly smaller and slightly larger cells in both halves.  The outer comb cells were much larger and deeper (for honey storage).

Interestingly, the feral comb retrieved from a tree in Oyster Bay, NY last June averaged 5.08 mm.  (This comb has been in my garage for 3-4 months.)

I used calipers to measure across 10 cells to get the one cell average.  An optical comparator would be a more accurate.

These values are somewhat less than standard foundation cell sizes.  I am only sharing my observations without drawing any conclusions about 'regression,' 'right cell size' etc. at this time.

I'll measure feral comb in this neck of the woods going forward.  Trends may stand out over time.  Comb from two feral colonies is a start but not a trend.  The positive aspect was that the brood comb was very dark, the home/tree owners reported bees being in the cavities min. 2-3 years, and the bees looked very healthy and vigorous.

On the other hand, I have 2 hives that are headed up by daughter queens from a feral queen captured 3 years ago.  Her feral colony was also very healthy.  My hives carry varroa and start showing shriveled wings at this time of the year...

My hypothesis is the natural broodnest with its cell gradation makes a difference.  Unfortunately, I don't have TBH style hives (yet :) to put my colonies in to see if the varroa/virus symptoms would abate.  I believe this is what Dennis Murrell observed, however.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY