From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 19:04:17 -0700
Hello Everyone,

This spring, I used a division board feeder to supply water for my
suburban hive. It works great in my climate (semiarid inter mountain
west, USA).

Following suggestions, I had previously placed a water source within 10'
of a hive location in my backyard. It attracted most of the bees
gathering water but the bird bath, leaking garden hoses and outdoor
faucets attracted their fair share of bees also.

This spring I used a division board feeder to supply water inside the
hive and also provided the usual water source 10' from the hive. The
bees were not attracted to any outside source. Using a Plexiglas inner
cover revealed minor activity in the feeder and a slight increase in
early morning condensation on top of the top bars in the hive ( 60
degree F days, 35 degree F nights).

I removed the feeder and the bees immediately began actively foraging
for water at all the usual sources.

The bees essentially ceased using outside water sources three hours
after inserting the feeder.

Using a division board feeder to supply water inside the hive might keep
the bees out of the neighbors water sources and reduce problems for
suburban beekeeping if your in a climate like mine (central Wyoming)

Best Wishes
D. Murrell