From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:49:17 -0500
In a message dated 97-03-24 05:34:25 EST, [log in to unmask] (Steve
Pearce) writes:

<< Yesterday I was mowing my lawn and a few of bees started buzzing around
and bouncing off my head,
 which  is differrent from the attack behaviour, where I get zapped before I
have even seen them.

 I can't remember anyone in the popular literature mentioning this type of
behaviour

 Any ideas? >>

   It's actually pretty common.  They were telling you that you were in
"their" territory.  The lawn mower noise and fumes were irritating, and they
didn't distinguish it from you, your head being the highest point.

   I don't think bees usually "want" to sting; at least it takes a lot higher
level of provocation.  We see this "bumping" type of warning in the bee yards
all the time; it's just that, our focus on our work, and the protection of a
veil, cause us to ignore it.

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Pollination for lay people, students, teachers
....Of bees, beekeepers, and food
http://users.aol.com/queenbjan/primbees.htm

Pollination for the pros - those involved in doing it:
Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light         Varietal Honeys and Gift Sets
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm